Tuesday 23 September 2008

Team playing

Given my lovesick cooing on this blog over all things Arsene Wenger, I guess I am obliged to comment on the leaked "motivational document" that found its way into yesterday's papers.

Two things:

1. I am not usually one to defend management-speak, but whatever works for Wenger works pour moi. While I have no idea what he means, I am certain le boss is right when he suggests that "The driving force of a team is its member's ability to create and maintain excellent relationships within the team that can add an extra dimension and robustness to the team dynamic." Of course it does!

2. I am not - and please don't tell this to any potential future employers* - a very good team player. I once got sent off for punching one of my team mates in the face. He was a mummy's boy and a ball hog and he deserved it. Unfortunately, the game was being watched by Tottenham scouts. My dreams of professional football turned to dust as I took an early shower (with the bird who sliced the half-time oranges) and I went on to become an Arsenal-supporting writer.

Still, whatever motivational guff Wenger buys into, it obviously works. Our 6-0 drubbing of Sheffield United tonight was sweet enough; sweeter still that it was done by our kids. Says the Times:

In such an accomplished team display it is difficult to pick out a single outstanding individual
Must've been that document.

*Ha!

No comments: