Tuesday 7 April 2009

Tip for the day

Spotify
Get it. As my sister promises: "It will change your life." (I think she means for the better.)

I, for example, have just spent the morning listening to The Skatalites, Lou Reed, Steve Reich, Salif Keita and Death in Vegas.* Good times.

*Actually, this is not quite true. When I woke up this morning, after pulling an all-nighter for the fourth night in a row (thanks on this occassion to Opening Day - go O's!) the first thing I did was spin my new Dent May vinyl. I met Dent for the first time on Friday night. He was playing at the Betsy Trotwood in Camden. My sister once crashed in his yard in Mississippi, which strikes me as spiritually meaningful in some way. I just hope he loved the curry on Brick Lane that we went for after the show as much as I loved his songs. For the record, there are few finer ways to hatch than by emptying a pot of Jamaican coffee down your throat (and spooning the perfect boiled egg) to the strains of songs like At The Academic Conference, God Loves You, Michael Chang, and I'm An Alcoholic.

Dent May

No comments: