Thursday 28 May 2009

The Vagina Textologues

My fellow amnesiac, who is currently on his way to Egypt "to hunt Almazsy", sent me the following text this morning:
"Dawg, Indie p29, Deborah Orr on 'Antichrist'. Fucking spectacular. Am woman: must refer to vagina..."
Suitably intrigued, I pulled the Indy up on my laptop, and was quickly slapped in the face by the following paras:
Our girded vaginas, valued sexually for their tightness, used to the enjoyment of penetration, widen without the bidding of our minds to expel our babies in a physical experience that is a reversal of sexual intercourse.

Our erogenous breasts become nurturing mammaries when we feed our babies, and the dual function can feel deeply confusing. Male genitals, whether fertilising or not, perform the same sexual functions, relay the same physical sensations, whether they create children or they don't. It's pointless to suggest that women's deepest notions of the division between sex and procreation are not far less tidy than men's.
Spectacular indeed, not least in the use of the word 'girded'. I was also taken by Orr's ("What a name!") neat description of Lars von Trier: "The guy is probably a jerk. But since I don't have breakfast with him every morning, I don't care."

Click here to munch on the full taco.

No comments: