Friday 26 June 2009

Spoonerism (the other kind)

"The greatest musician the planet has ever seen."
- Uri Geller, on Michael Jackson.

For the record, I too like his early stuff: I Want You Back, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', etc. Still, even when I was a white glove wearing, moonwalking ten year-old The Girl is Mine made me want to vom (though, to be fair, so does most of Paul McCartney's output, and that line Michael breathily delivers about how he's "a lover, not a fighter" is flat out hilarious). What's more, I've just been reminded by Joseph Barker on Facebook that MJ also once screeched out:
Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me
And the entire human race.
So, as my cousin Dan says about Uri Geller's hysterical tribute, "I think Beethoven might be a bit miffed!"

No comments: