Sunday 5 October 2008

Typoes

As anyone who was at my book-launch can relate, typos are a sore point with me (though obviously I like that funny story about Dan 'Tomatoe' Quayle as much as the next man...). So I thought I'd share these two meta-literary gems with you.

From the Acknowledgements section of a book which I shall not name, since I know the author and would like to remain on speaking terms with him:

"Heartfelt thanks... to Dr Owen Marshall and writing his class of 2001...."
and from the same section of Sebastian Faulks' excellent Pistache*:

"May I finally thank Mrs Brenda Wigwam for the diligence and the dedication she brought to her unsurpassably brilliant proof-reding."
Which is the last word in the book.

--
* pronounce it like the ski run plus the dull pain in your legs you get from spending too much time on same.

No comments: