Monday 15 September 2008

Because this is my blog

Here are my votes for MLB pitching honours this year. No hanging chads, I promise.

AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee

Don't give me all this K-Rod crap. To get big save numbers, you need to get big save opportunities. That has nothing to do with the pitcher, and everything to do with the rest of his team playing tight ballgames (and I don't mean of the type favoured by Oscar Wilde). Besides, saves are nothing compared with good starting pitching. Let's not exaggerate the importance of the job. Also, I can't stand the way K-Rod celebrates every victory like he's just stuck it to the Spartans. The screaming and pointing to the heavens to thank God is just not cricket. So I'm biased. Cliff Lee is my man.

NL Cy Young: Tim Lincecum

Hands down the best pitcher (sorry, CC Sabathia doesn't qualify, those is the rules). I'm biased again, because I love 'The Freak'. But the numbers back me up. Timmy's the balls. The only category working against him is wins. Brandon Webb has a couple more, but - and I am aware this ain't no original point - so bloody what? I am totally lost as to why all this emphasis is put on the numbers put up by your team-mates while you are working your ass off on the mound. Sure, a Cy Young pitcher needs to have won you a bucket load of ballgames, but Lincecum has done that, with no run support on a losing team. How does this not factor into the decision making more than wins? If Webb wins, I'll be pissed.

As I say, nothing original, but those is my two cents. Apologies to any non-baseball fans (like my co-blogger, who prefers the theatre, and Oscar Wilde).

No comments: