Thursday 25 September 2008

Re: 21st Century Boy

Ahoy! Good tip. I too have taken the piratical plunge. In fact, I've just spent a productive morning getting into the spirit of all things pirate. Mainly this.

However, I am alarmed to learn of a recent survey by Laura Buffardi and W. Keith Campbell of the University of Georgia. Buffoon and Dubya (as they are known by their funders) conclude that people with Facebook accounts are self-adoring narcissists.

I can't help thinking there is some truth in this. Says the BBC:

The results showed that the number of Facebook friends and wallposts that people have on their pages correleates with narcissism ... Ms Buffardi said this is consistent with how narcissists behave in the real world with numerous yet shallow relationships.
I have a facebook account, but in my defence I really really hate it and I spend an inordinate amount of time ignoring it. (Did Narcissus ever deliberately avoid his reflection? Hmmm?) I don't seek out 'friends' and I don't EVER let anyone know what I am doing right now. Meanwhile, I have absolutely no interest in what anybody else is doing right now either. Come to think of it, I really should terminate my account (or my life, if there's a difference these days).

In further defence of myself and my fellow amnesiac, neither of us chose "glamorous, self-promoting pictures" for our main profile pages.

If you don't believe me, come spy us on Facebook. We'll be happy to show you our planks.

No comments: