Thursday 12 March 2009

It's wicked to mock the afflicted, but...

... there's this blind busker dude who hangs out on Oxford Street, "playing" the violin. If you live in London, or even if you've just visited, chances are you've seen this guy. He's been around my whole life, I swear, in one place or another. The bloke's a permanent fixture. You would've thought by now he'd have learnt how to play a bit.

But no. Blind Willie Johnson he is not. As far as I can tell, this guy actually just wacks the strings with his bow. The sound is bad. Really bad. I assume he does his wacking randomly, but when I passed him today, I paused to wonder. Maybe I've got this guy all wrong. Maybe he's actually playing some 'contemporary' piece. I'm thinking something like Georges Antheil's Violin Sonata (actually composed in the twenties, but believe me, it'll do).

So, bearing this in mind, how much money should one drop into this maestro's velvet-lined violin case? The going rate for a Festival Saver ticket to the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival is £290. I reckon that ought to buy Blind Violin Guy a few lessons.

No comments: