Monday 2 March 2009

The meaning of life

There's a card on my bookshelf from my sister that reads (and this is a direct quote):
life is too important to be taken seriously!

(oscar wilde)
I was staring at this card yesterday and wondering if it was at all likely that Oscar added an exclamation mark to the end of his philosophical postulation. I guessed not.

So this morning I looked it up. Turns out - and apologies for not already knowing this - that not only did Oscar not include a bloody exclamation mark, but that the whole line is a sodding misquote.

What Oscar actually wrote was:
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it.
The line was spoken by Lord Darlington in Act I of Lady Windermere's Fanny (or something).

I should add that the card is - of course - written in kiddy handwriting. As for me, I am now going to fold the card away and listen to Modern Life is Rubbish by Blur.

No comments: